As a single college student, Ioften find myself looking for new recipes. This is one I tried recently and found that I really enjoy. I will give credit where it is due and admit that this is not mine. It is one of the many I find on “Pinterest”. But I thought I would share it because I like it so much.
Michelle Palin on My Gluten- Free Kitchen has the original recipe. Since I cook for one, I did divide the recipe so that I did not end up with a massive amount of leftovers. Palin’s post shows how to make three casserole dishes worth and freeze it. I personally prefer the “make and eat right away” method.
Since I went gluten-free in September, I have been craving pasta type dishes. This one hits the spot because the basmati rice mixed with every other ingredient tastes like pasta. All in all, this recipe turned out very well. Because I am cheap, I used canned chicken. Nonetheless, it turned out great!
I definitely recommend using Sharp cheddar cheese for a little extra kick. Another thing I might add is that the recipe does call for mushrooms. But because I am no fan of fungus in my food, I left it out. The next time I make this dish, though, I may try adding some onions. After all, onions make every dish better!
For the woman with PCOS, this is a dish that avoids gluten, so you can feel a little better about eating it. Just ignore all the cheese you are stirring in with the milk and butter!
Without further ado, I give you the recipe!
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 head fresh broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/3 tsp. salt
- 1/3 tsp. garlic powder
- Pre-cook your rice to yield 2 cups of cooked rice. Pre-cook your chicken and shred, to yield 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray one 8×8″ oven and freezer safe baking pan (glass, aluminum, foil, or Gladware oven pan) with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Once melted, add the cooked rice, sliced mushrooms, garlic, milk and half of the shredded cheddar cheese. Cook over medium heat until the cheese is all melted.
- Add the broccoli, chicken, salt and garlic powder and cook over medium heat, for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and pour mixture into baking pan. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top..
- Bake at 350° until casserole is heated throughout and broccoli is tender, about 30 minutes.
Once again, I owe all credit to Michelle Palin at My Gluten- Free Kitchen for this awesome recipe! I simply broke it down into college girl territory.